If you have a dog, you probably know how much they love their bed. It’s their cozy spot to relax, nap, and snuggle. But over time, their bed can get dirty, smelly, and even harbor parasites or bacteria that can harm your pup’s health. That’s why it’s important to wash your dog’s bed regularly and keep it fresh and clean.
But how do you wash a dog bed with stuffing in the washer? Is it safe to do so? What are the best tips and tricks to make sure your dog’s bed comes out clean and intact? In this blog post, we’ll answer these questions and more. We’ll also share some of the best washable dog beds you can buy if you’re looking for a new one.
How often should you wash your dogs bed?
The frequency of washing your dogs bed depends on several factors, such as:
– How dirty your dog gets
– How much your dog sheds
– How often your dog sleeps on the bed
– How sensitive your dog is to smells or allergens
– How big or small the bed is
As a general rule of thumb, you should wash a dog bed at least once a month, or more often if it gets visibly dirty or smelly. You should also wash it whenever your dog has an accident, gets sick, or comes in contact with fleas or ticks.
How to wash a dog bed with stuffing in the washer?
Before you toss your dog’s bed in the washer, you need to check a few things first:
– Read the care label on the bed. Some beds are not machine washable and need to be hand washed or dry cleaned. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to avoid damaging the bed.
– Check if the bed has a removable cover. If it does, you can unzip it and wash it separately from the stuffing. This will make the washing process easier and more effective. If the bed doesn’t have a removable cover, you’ll need to wash the whole bed as one piece.
– Inspect the bed for any holes, tears, or loose threads. If you find any, you should mend them before washing to prevent further damage or stuffing from coming out.
– Remove any excess dirt, hair, or debris from the bed. You can use a brush, a vacuum, or a lint roller to do this. This will help prevent clogging your washer or dryer with pet hair.
Once you’ve done these steps, you’re ready to wash your dog bed in the washer. Here are some tips to follow:
– Use a mild, pet-safe detergent that doesn’t contain bleach, fabric softeners, or strong fragrances. These can irritate your dog’s skin or nose and cause allergic reactions.
– Use cold or warm water and a gentle cycle. Hot water can shrink or damage some fabrics and stuffing materials.
– Add some vinegar or baking soda to the wash cycle to help eliminate odors and stains. You can also use a pet odor eliminator product if you prefer.
– If possible, wash the bed alone or with similar items. Don’t overload the washer or mix the bed with other clothes that might bleed color or transfer lint.
– If the bed is too large or bulky for your washer, you can take it to a laundromat and use a commercial-sized washer. Alternatively, you can hand wash it in a bathtub or a large sink with mild soap and water.
How to dry a dog bed with stuffing?
After washing your dogs bed, you need to dry it properly to prevent mold, mildew, or odors from forming. Here are some tips to dry your dog’s bed with stuffing:
– Read the care label on the bed. Some beds are not dryer safe and need to be air dried. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to avoid damaging the bed.
– If the bed has a removable cover, you can dry it separately from the stuffing. This will make the drying process faster and more effective.
– If you use a dryer, use low heat and a gentle cycle. High heat can shrink or damage some fabrics and stuffing materials.
– Add some dryer balls or tennis balls to the dryer to help fluff up the stuffing and prevent clumping. You can also use a pet dryer sheet if you want to add some freshness.
– Check the bed periodically and make sure it’s completely dry before taking it out of the dryer. If it’s still damp, run another cycle or let it air dry until it’s fully dry.
– If you air dry the bed, place it in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight or heat sources. Fluff up the stuffing and shake the bed occasionally to speed up the drying process and prevent clumping.
– Once the bed is dry, you can put the cover back on if it has one. You can also spray some pet deodorizer or lavender oil on the bed to add some extra freshness and calmness.
What are the best washable dog beds?
– The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is a luxurious and comfortable bed that features a solid memory foam base, a water-resistant and tear-resistant cover, and bolsters for extra support. The cover is removable and machine washable, and the bed comes in various sizes and colors to suit your dog’s needs and preferences.
– The Furhaven Pet Dog Bed is a cozy and affordable bed that features a faux fur top, an orthopedic foam base, and bolsters for extra comfort. The cover is removable and machine washable, and the bed comes in various sizes, shapes, and colors to suit your dog’s needs and preferences.
– The Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed is a durable and comfortable bed that features a 4-inch memory foam base, a waterproof layer, and a soft microsuede cover. The cover is removable and machine washable, and the bed comes in various sizes and colors to suit your dog’s needs and preferences.
Washing your dogs bed with stuffing in the washer is not a difficult task if you follow some simple steps and tips. By doing so, you’ll keep your dog’s bed clean, fresh, and comfortable, as well as protect your dog’s health and well-being.
We hope this blog post has helped you learn how to wash a dog bed with stuffing in the washer. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. We’d love to hear from you!